NCERT or The National Council of Educational Research and Training is the apex resource organization for providing assistance and advice to the Central and State Governments on educational matters related to school education (primary and secondary). This organization was formed on September 1, 1961 as an autonomous organization by merging the previous seven organizations. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
Organization of the NCERT
The council is administered by 5 committees. Among them are the General Council and the Executive Committee. Both are chaired by the Union Minister for Human Resource Development.
The Council provides educational and technical assistance for the qualitative development of school education with the help of its following constituent organizations:
1) National Institute of Education, New Delhi
2) Central Institute of Education Technology, New Delhi
3) Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education, Bhopal
4) 5 Regional Educational Institutions – Ajmer, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Mysore and Shillong.
The logo of the council is derived from the inscriptions on the Ashoka Pillar found at Maski in Raichur district of Karnataka. The three folded swans represent three aspects of the council’s work: research and development, training and extension. The motto in the logo, ‘Vidya Mritamashnute’ (Hindi: विद्यया मृतमश्नुते), is derived from the Ish Upanishad, which means ‘A person attains immortality through education’.
Functions of the NCERT
- To assist and advise the Central and State Governments in implementing their education policies.
- Determining and creating curriculum for school education. Also to create necessary standards for maintaining quality in school education.
- Assisting State Textbook Production Boards for Textbook Production.
- Creating and disseminating quality non-text books and thereby developing a love of reading or reading culture in school children.
- To undertake research related to all branches of school and teacher education, as well as to implement and coordinate it.
- Conduct pre-service and in-service training for teachers.
- Organizing extension services for organizations, associations and agencies working in the field of educational restructuring.
- Experiment with related by developing improved educational techniques and innovative methods.
- Collection, aggregation, processing and dissemination of educational information.
- Collaborate with international organizations and national educational institutions in other countries